Grandma's Fish Shoes  

Posted by ikeTipps

I remember watching Grandma someplace standing straddle the stream reaching down and catching trout with her hands as they swam by. I don't know where it was but does anybody else remember it?

I remember it - it was Red Lodge. I used to watch Grandma straddle the stream and catch fish with her hands. I remember one time when she slipped off the rocks she was standing on and got her feet in the water. Remember those black high top shoes she always wore. They came to just below her ankles, had a small heel and were lace up with swirly stitching. Anyway, she said a few words and then came in the house and put those shoes in the
oven of the wood stove to dry them out. She forgot about them until the smell of burning leather starting emanting from the stove. She said a few more words, and took her withered, smoldering shoes out of the oven.

She must have had an endless supply of those shoes because she wore that style for the rest of her life it seems! I wrote that story up for a creative writing class I took at Moorpark College back in the 80's.

Ok, Jim tells the story of the shoes in one of his stories but This fish story needs to be added.

Judy Tippetts Wray



This entry was posted on Monday, August 2, 2010 at 7:21 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment